Bryony Smithcandidate, candidates
With the current coronavirus situation, the traditional face-to-face interview has become almost impossible. But how can we continue the recruitment process without losing that personal element? The answer - video calls!
Video calls have been around for years, the likes of FaceTime, Zoom and Skype just to name a few. However, they were never fully embraced - until we had no other option. As recruitment consultants we've gone from arranging traditional face-to-face interviews to more video calls than ever before. And with such a big change some of our candidates are often unsure how to prepare for a video call and stand out from the crowd. So, we asked our consultants to give their 10 top tips to make a great first impression on a video call so you can land your dream role:
- Look directly into the camera, so it appears you are making eye contact with the hiring manager.
- Dress to impress – Do not assume your interview is less formal just because it's virtual.
- Good lighting – Make sure the interviewer can see you clearly.
- Check your background – It's far better to be sitting in front of a blank wall than your future employer seeing something in the background they shouldn't.
- Prepare – When it comes to interviews preparation is key, make sure you do your research just like you would for face-to-face interview.
- Test your tech - Make sure you know how to access the interview to avoid embarrassing technology mishaps.
- Be on time – Always be on time you do not want to keep the hiring manager waiting.
- No distractions - Turn off notifications on your laptop or phone and conduct your interview in a quiet location.
- Headphones to hand – If the sound quality is poor headphones can sometimes help.
- Be yourself – The hiring manager is clearly impressed by your experience because you've been invited to an interview, so just be yourself and try not to stress.
If you would like more advice about video interviews check out our post ‘How to Prepare for a Skype or Telephone Interview’ and for the latest job vacancies visit our candidate job search page.